Ocho Rios, Jamaica is a popular port for cruise ships and nearby Dunns River Falls is one of the most popular attractions. Dunns River Falls is accessible to the public whether you are visiting from a cruise ship, a nearby resort, or a family member. Not only do you get to see this beautiful natural phenomenon (it constantly regenerates itself and dumps directly in to the ocean) but you also have the opportunity to climb it for an even closer look. You don’t have to be a regular gym rat to partake in the climb up the falls but you should be in decent physical condition.
Aside from being able to put one foot in front of the other, there are some things to consider before making the climb.
1. Wear a bathing suit.
2. Ladies, cover that bathing suit with a pair of shorts you don’t mind getting wet. I recommend picking up a pair of ladies board shorts or something similar.
3. Wear water shoes. Your feet will thank you.
4. Only bring absolute essentials and put them in a zip lock bag (a little cash, your ID, your keys). Hopefully those shorts you picked up or a pair of the swim trunks of a male companion have a zippered pocket that you can place this bag in for safe keeping.
5. Bring a disposable water proof camera.
6. You’re climbing a waterfall. You will get wet!
You’ll start at the base of the falls on the beach with your group and tour guide. Each tour group forms a human chain lead by the tour guide to make the journey up the falls. You’ll be glad you’re holding hands with those around you as it somewhat surprisingly helps everyone find their footing. There are areas where you will not be required to hold hands and can do a little wandering before joining up again to continue the climb. At several spots along the way, there are pools of varying depths that you can relax in. Your tour guide will point out which of these pools are safe to climb in to and which aren’t. There is a pleasant mix of sun and shade up the falls so you won’t feel like you’re roasting despite the hot Caribbean sun.
When you’re finished exploring Dunns River Falls find yourself a hearty meal, you will have earned it….